Monday, January 3, 2011

Sterling Silver Celtic Jewelry: Celtic Crosses Part 2

Sterling Silver Celtic Jewelry: Celtic Crosses Part 2

This blog is a continuation from Sterling Silver Celtic Jewelry: Celtic Crosses Part 1. This Celtic cross blog will finsih the review of the Celtic crosses that have additional symbolism added to the Celtic cross besides the traditional circle, Celtic weave design and Celtic knot design.

Where the Celtic cross necklace has a lot of the same style of Celtic knot or weave pattern, understanding the additional and different symbols, it is nice to understand the symbolism of these icons.

The Irish Celtic Cross is so rich in symbolism adding so much more meaning to the traditional silver cross pendant. 



The shamrock three leaf cross necklace is typically a Celtic cross with a Irish shamrock in the center of the cross. The shamrock is an Irish symbol that, as legend has it, Saint Patrick used as a visual aid in teaching about the Holy Trinity. Each petal of the three leaf clover cross necklace represented a member of the Godhead.


This Celtic three leaf clover cross necklace has the shamrock inside the Celtic circle. it also has the traditional Celtic knot work. It also has the Celtic trinity knot at each of the four end caps. Perhaps this is why this Celtic cross necklace is the most popular selling cross necklace at HandCraftedCollectibles.com



 
Trinity Cross Pendants

Trinity Cross pendants are Celtic cross pendants that have a Trinity knot in the center of the cross or somewhere on the cross for added symbolism and decoration. The Celtic trinity knot was a ancient Celtic symbol adopted by christians as a symbol for the Holy Trinity. The Celtic trinity knot is a knot with three corners, each corner represents a member of the Godhead.







The St. Brigid cross pendant necklace features the St Bridgid cross pendant.
In the HandCraftedCollectibles.com (HCC) collection of Irish Cross necklaces has the Saint Brigid of Kildare or St Bridgid of Ireland cross necklace.

St. Bridgit Cross Pendant St Bridgit is one of Irish Patron Saints. Her name is spelled one of many ways: Brigit, Brigid, Bridgit or Brid. HCC has a sterling silver Saint Bridget cross necklace.



Saint Patrick Irish Cross Pendant

St. Patrick's cross is so named because of the types of Celtic crosses that were in use when St. Patrick was in Ireland in the 5th century.

Over time many other crosses have came to bear his name for one reason or the other. However the true Saint Patricks Cross is a traditional Irish cross, Irish High Cross or traditional Celtic cross.

HandCraftedCollectibles.com has a St Patricks cross that more closely resembles the cross over the traditional resting place of Saint Patrick.



The Prayer of St. Patrick

I arise today Through Gods strength to pilot me;

Gods might to uphold me, Gods wisdom to guide me, Gods eye to look before me, Gods ear to hear me, Gods word to speak for me, Gods hand to guard me.

Gods way to lie before me, Gods shield to protect me, Gods hosts to save me

Afar and near, Alone or in a multitude.

Christ shield me today, Against wounding, Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me, Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me, Christ in the eye that sees me, Christ in the ear that hears me.

I arise today, Through the mighty strength Of the Lord of creation.

HandCraftedCollectibles.com has a large collection of sterling silver Celtic cross pendants.






No comments: